2011년 11월 24일 목요일

(Assignment #11) Experience in KMLA - Reflective Essay



* Since the topic is quite sensitive, to keep the anonymity of the teacher, I denoted the name of the subject as subjectA and name of the teacher as Mr.A. 



Last subjectA class was the most impressive class in the second semester. Instead of teaching some banal subjectA knowledge, Mr. A gave us lessons about the desirable attitude of a student in a school and society full of contradictions and irrationalities. I felt great sympathy toward his lessons. This essay is about Mr. A’s lessons that I should keep in mind for my life.
Mr. A told us that recently so many irrationalities appear in KMLA due to financial deficiency. For example, on last Saturday, KMLA held a fundraising concert to gather enough money to build a new dormitory. Audiences, mostly families of the students and preliminary freshmen, might have enjoyed the concert. However, the students who performed could not simply enjoy. Every student was forced to participate in at least one performance. Therefore, many students were compelled to join in a chorus performance with stupid dances, regardless of their volitions. They had to sacrifice numerous self-study times for practice. Compelling students to perform and depriving their time to study for the fundraising of the school are obviously out of order.
In addition, the school does not seem to have any solution to maintain the quality of education after the construction of the new dormitory. The school claims that they need bigger number of students to preserve the school finance. However, even now school does not provide enough space for classrooms and sufficient number of teachers. After the number of students increases, deterioration of education quality would be inevitable. KMLA would lose the title of ‘Elite Institution’ or ‘High School of Dream’. Mr. A even mentioned that some teachers in high position are promoting the construction to accumulate more personal careers and achievements.
Fundraising concert is only a mere example; there are so many situations in the school that are against justice. Mr. A introduced them to the students, and we were all astonished. The school really seemed to put higher priority on money than on justice. Furthermore, he told us that we were the ones that could change the situation. A student would easily think that he or she does not have enough power to change the immoralities. However, we do have the power. Throughout the history, high school students were the ones who changed the history. GwangJu Anti-Japanese Movement was led by a group of brave high school students. The tremendous demonstration against the import of American beef was also triggered by high school students. Righteous high school students with solemn and ardent spirits have changed the society. KMLA students are the only ones who can terminate the irrationalities of the school.
He also told us that leaving the unjust past in pleasant memories is very dangerous. Even though the students had complained about the irrational reality of the concert, after they finish the performance and receive applauses, they suddenly tend to let the concert stay in delightful memories, saying that “Anyway, besides the purpose, the concert was great”! Then, they neglect the problem. The students would not endeavor to solve the problem, and the irrationalities would continue to exist. Therefore, the students should dispassionately look at the reality.
I have thought that I am quite a righteous man. I have thought that I am kind of a guy who cannot endure unfaithfulness, and fight against them. However, as I listened to Mr. A, I could not be confident to myself. I questioned myself whether I am being coward and overlooking the situations, even though I know that they are unjust. Mr. A taught us that we, as a teenager, have the power to change the injustices, and that we should understand the situations in a dispassionate point of view. He gave me bravery and spirit. I will keep his lessons in mind, and try to change the irrationalities, by starting from the small endeavors. Furthermore, I will maintain the courage and righteous spirit he gave me not only as a member of a school but as a member of a society in the future. 

댓글 3개:

  1. This is a well written post, and of course I'm intrigued and wonder who this Mr. A is. Kind of a risky approach to take. My opinion? I thought the concert was great, and exceeded my expectations. I remember when I went to highschool that I never had the chance to participate in such events, and I was proud to witness what KMLA can do when they put their minds to something. The students - not the teachers - made that concert a success, and I think the educational value of it makes up for missing classes and/or study time. I think students learn by doing and have to get their heads out of books. Sure - some students got more out of it than others, and many got nothing out of it. But I thought it was good.

    While I agree that students and teenagers do have to initiate change in this world, I hope they choose a cause more significant than the construction of dorm. Every school has problems. Yale, Harvard, Princeton...etc. etc. Change is the only constant.

    Despite disagreeing with some of your opinions, I have to say this is a good post and I respect where you're coming from.:)

    답글삭제
  2. As for the American beef demonstrations - didn't that turn out to be an internet hoax based on groundless science and bad journalism?

    답글삭제
  3. Mr. Garrioch I haven't recognized that you were writing lots of comments on my blog! Thank you!

    About the beef demonstrations, it was only an example that high school students can 'do something'. Still it's in a hot debate, and it might be based on groundless science, I agree.

    About the concert, I agree that the students led the concert to be successful, and there were some educational values. However, the purpose and the process were irrational and unjust. For example, if the concert was a charity concert and teachers let the students volunteer for performing, I would definitely agree. However, in this case, I feel that things are going wrong, and that they should be changed.

    "Change is the only constant" I like this quote!!! lol

    답글삭제