2013년 6월 20일 목요일

WorldLit #6-2 Metafiction / The Gray

The Gray



“……I’ve told you guys hundred times to find the clue in the PASSAGE!”
             I was sitting in a classroom of a private SAT academy of Gangnam city. Yes, I am the evil of the society, a participant of the burning competition of private education. I am criticized by all kinds of news media for spending enormous amount of money to get into a good college. I am the subject of an EBS documentary about the lack of happiness in this society.
             I looked out the open window. Across the street illuminated a cosmetic surgery signboard that caught my sight. The cosmetic surgery would turn a customer into one of those people on the street, running fast on high-heels and answering on the phone. I realized that cosmetic surgery and private academy have something in common. They both help people survive in this city, which requires excellence in standards of beauty and academic skills that are equivalent to everybody. The survivors have same facial expressions and same behavior patterns.
I averted my eyes. Everywhere was vaguely gray. The 8-line road was gray. The luxury-brand cars were gray. The pedestrians’ suits were gray. The buildings were gray. Even the clouds were gray. I wiped my glasses with my clothes, which made them even blurrier. I put on the glasses and realized that the clouds were lowered, or thickened. The bottom of the dark cloud seemed to approach me. After I wiped the glasses once again, I found myself captured inside the gray, humid air, which hindered my breath. I choked, feeling the urge to get out of this cloud. I had to escape. But where could I? The buildings were gray. The pedestrians’ suits were gray. The luxury-brand cars were gray. The 8-line road was gray. Everything below the cloud was gray.
So I went up. I stretched my wings and elevated vertically, past the window, past the skyscraper buildings, and past the thick cloud. As I went higher, the sticky air became fresh. The air was separating at the tip of my beak. I felt the cold flow of air riding on my skin. I listened to the cheerful sounds of my fluttering feathers. Now everywhere was sparklingly blue. I was feeling so free.
             Perhaps a few minutes later, suddenly I thought, ‘isn’t it too fast?’ Yes, it was. Whirls of winds were fiercely forming around my presence. I closed my eyes because the wind hitting my face was so powerful. My toes were quivering in frustration. The air riding on my skin was now sucking me up. My feathers were fluttering so wildly that they made thunderous sounds. However I could not unfold my wings. Rather, my wings were becoming sharper and sharper, stiffened at their positions. I was flying faster and faster. Wait, was I actually flying? No. I was falling. The gravity was making me fall faster and faster. Now I could see the gray city. Past the thick cloud, past the skyscraper buildings, and past the window……
             BANG! I crashed, right on the chair where I was sitting, as my deskmate slapped me on the back, waking me up.
“Mingyu, how dare you doze in the classroom? Don’t you want to get a good score?”
“……Sorry, I’m so sorry, Ms. Kim.”
“Please pay attention. Everybody turn to page 174.”
And I started dozing again. 

댓글 1개:

  1. This is another good bit of writing, similar to your post modern piece. And I do see pieces of Violets story as well, which you've done a great job of adapting and fitting in. But, is it metafiction? Not really. But it definitely is a cinematic image, and the writing tone is very effective. I like the repetition of "the gray" etc., and even the satirical tone of the opening paragraph where you say "I'm the subject of a EBS documentary."

    Anyways, while it is good and fun to read, and it does improve Violet's ideas while blending them perfectly into your own, it is not the assignment I explained, and you aren't to "blend" so much as "frame."

    Anyways, you get the bonus point, and your writing has impressed me lately.

    답글삭제